[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jul 27 22:12:00 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Fox, Kevin M's message of 2016-07-27 21:51:15 +0000:
> Its a standard way of launching a given openstack service container with specified config regardless if its backed with a redhat or ubuntu or source based package set that the Operator can rely on having a standardized interface to. distro packages don't grantee that kind of thing and don't want to.
>
> To me, its an abstraction api kind of like nova is to kvm vs xen. the nova user shouldn't have to care which backend is chosen.

You're not wrong, and I do believe there is programming happening to
these interfaces. However the surface area of the API you describe is
_WAY_ too big to justify the work to maintain it as a single entity.

This is really why deployment tooling is so diverse. Hardware, networks,
business rules, operating systems, licensing, regulatory constraints...
all of those are part of a real deployment, and trying to make an API
that allows covering all of those bases, versus just having a bunch of
specific-ish implementations, has so far resulted in acceptance of more
implementations nearly every time.