[openstack-dev] [Kolla] [Fuel] [tc] Looks like Mirantis is getting Fuel CCP (docker/k8s) kicked off

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Wed Jul 27 17:10:49 UTC 2016

On 07/27/2016 09:59 AM, Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at fastmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Whether to have competing projects in the big tent was debated by the TC
>>> at the time and my recollection is that we decided that was a good thing
>>> -- if someone wanted to develop a Nova replacement, then let them do it
>>> in public with the community. It would either win or lose based on its
>>> merits. Why is this not something which can happen here as well?
>>
>> For real, I (or someone) can start a nova replacement without getting rejected (or yelled at or ...) by the TC saying it's a competing project??? Wow, this is news to me...
>
> No, you can’t start a Nova replacement and still call yourself OpenStack.
>
> The sense I have gotten over the years from the TC is that gratuitous competition is strongly discouraged.

I seem to recall that back during the "big tent" discussion people were talking
about allowing competing projects that performed the same task, and letting
natural selection decide which one survived.

For example, at
"http://www.joinfu.com/2014/09/answering-the-existential-question-in-openstack/"
Jay Pipes said that being under the big tent should not mean that the project is
the only/best way to provide a specific function to OpenStack users.

On the other hand, the OpenStack new projects requirements *do* explicitly state
that "Where it makes sense, the project cooperates with existing projects rather
than gratuitously competing or reinventing the wheel."

Maybe it boils down to the definition of "gratuitous" competition.

Chris