[openstack-dev] [glance] [oslo] configs help text for glance_store

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:22:14 UTC 2016

Hi all,

There was a intricate issue [1] when using help text with additive
strings for translations, when passed through oslo.config. The error
could not be seen on your local test environment or on glance_store docs
visibly as it reflected only on glance docs gate. (Well, unless you
tested the latest of glance_store with glance before commit/review.)

Thanks to Doug Hellmann, a solution for this has been proposed [2] for
that issue. However, until the next release and subsequent sync of
oslo.config in glance, I sincerely advice all the glance core reviews,
glance_store driver maintainers and all other respective individuals to
refrain from merging any help texts that have such 'additive strings'.

This may have an adverse effect on the glance gate and on further
releases of glance_store in Newton in this release critical period.
Also, note that the 0.14.0 release of glance_store had to be pinned down
[3] [4] and I've proposed a short release for the store lib 0.15.0 [5]
that will help us evaluate store ;  propose  & review changes therein in
a informed manner.

For those working on improving help text, I request you to test your
latest changes the way Doug has described testing oslo.config change in
a comment on PS1 here [2]. Please leave a comment on your review once
you have tested your config help text changes as such and help the
reviewers save time by allowing them to 'not' do the same locally for
every help text change proposed.

Hope that the severity of the issue, message and intent is clear to all
the audience concerned. If not, please feel free to reach out. Let's all
make sure we progress through the review queue in the most important
phase of the release cycle.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.config/+bug/1605648

[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/347907/

[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance-store/+bug/1606746