[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Equal Chances for all projects (was Plugins for all)

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:24:07 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:36 PM Hayes, Graham <graham.hayes at hpe.com> wrote:

> Top posting - this is a recap of what has been said, and some
> clarifications
>
> I realise that I was not very clear at the beginning of this process, so
> here is my effort to clarify things, from the ML thread, and the review.
>
>  >   ... does this also include plugins within projects, like storage
>  >   backends in cinder and hypervisor drivers in nova?
>
> No - this was not clear enough. This change is aimed at projects that are
> points of significant cross project interaction. While, in the future
> there may
> come a point where Nova Compute Drivers are developed out of tree (though
> I doubt it), that is not happening today. As a result, there is no
> projects in
> the list of projects that would need to integrate with Nova.
>
>  >   Could you please clarify: do you advocate for a generic plugin
> interface for
>  >   every project, or that each project should expose a plugin
> interface that
>  >   allows plugin to behave as in-tree components? Because the latter
> is what
>  >   happens with Tempest, and I see the former a bit complicated.
>
> For every project that has cross project interaction - tempest is a good
> example.
>
> For these projects, they should allow all projects in tree (like Nova,
> Neutron, Cinder etc are today), or they should have a plugin interface
> (like they currently do), but all projects *must* use it, and not use
> parts of tempest that are not exposed in that interface.

Defining a policy that *all* projects must use the plugin interface would
not help.
You could define plugins in tree in Tempest but that would not change much.
The plugin interface is quite complete as it is today, I don't expect it
will be extended much after [0] is merged.

What still requires work in Tempest is the stable interface. Because
plugins are not in the Tempest tree, the QA team recommend that they use
only tempest stable interfaces. Increasing the surface of stable interfaces
is what keeps a lot of the QA folks busy.

There's a lot of code in tempest that was written under the assumption that
all tests would always live in the tempest tree; evolving that code into a
stable publicly consumable interface is simply a lot of work, which the QA
team is prioritising based on the input from plugins.

Tempest plugins are for all right now. Keystone, Cinder and Neutron already
have a plugin today. We don't want tests which are not relevant for
integration or defcore to be added to Tempest, and that is true for *all*
services.

> This would mean that tempest would move the nova, neutron, etc tests to
> use the plugin interface.

> Now, that plugin could be kept in the tempest repo, and still maintained
> by the QA team, but should use the same interface as the other plugins
> that are not in that repository.

All tests in tempest consume the stable interfaces in tempest.lib.
The QA team is working continuously to stabilise and migrate more parts of
tempest into the tempest.lib namespace.

Since a lot of plugins are using tempest unstable interfaces, we're also
trying as much as possible to maintain backward compatibility on unstable
interfaces, until the stable version is available, but that is not always
an option.

> [...]
>

> Thanks,
>
> Graham
>
> On 14/07/2016 20:25, Hayes, Graham wrote:
> > I just proposed a review to openstack/governance repo [0] that aims
> > to have everything across OpenStack be plugin based for all cross
> > project interaction, or allow all projects access to the same internal
> > APIs and I wanted to give a bit of background on my motivation, and how
> > it came about.
> >
> > Coming from a smaller project, I can see issues for new projects,
> > smaller projects, and projects that may not be seen as "important".
> >
> > As a smaller project trying to fit into cross project initiatives,
> > (and yes, make sure our software looks at least OK in the
> > Project Navigator) the process can be difficult.
> >
> > A lot of projects / repositories have plugin interfaces, but also
> > have project integrations in tree, that do not follow the plugin
> > interface. This makes it difficult to see what a plugin can, and
> > should do.
> >
> > When we moved to the big tent, we wanted as a community to move to
> > a flatter model, removing the old integrated status.
> >
> > Unfortunately we still have areas when some projects are more equal -
> > there is a lingering set of projects who were integrated at the point
> > in time that we moved, and have preferential status.
> >
> > A lot of the effects are hard to see, and are not insurmountable, but
> > do cause projects to re-invent the wheel.
> >
> > For example, quotas - there is no way for a project that is not nova,
> > neutron, cinder to hook into the standard CLI, or UI for setting
> > quotas. They can be done as either extra commands
> > (openstack dns quota set --foo bar) or as custom panels, but not
> > the way other quotas get set.
> >
> > Tempest plugins are another example. Approximately 30 of the 36
> > current plugins are using resources that are not supposed to be
> > used, and are an unstable interface. Projects in tree in tempest
> > are at a much better position, as any change to the internal
> > API will have to be fixed before the gate merges, but other
> > out of tree plugins are in a place where they can be broken at any
> > point.
> >
> > None of this is meant to single out projects, or teams. A lot
> > of the projects that are in this situation have inordinate amounts of
> > work placed on them by the big-tent, and I can emphasize with why things
> > are this way. These were the examples that currently stick out
> > in my mind, and I think we have come to a point where we need to make
> > a change as a community.
> >
> > By moving to a "plugins for all" model, these issues are reduced.
> > It undoubtedly will cause more, but it is closer to our goal
> > of Recognizing all our community is part of OpenStack, and
> > differentiate projects by tags.
> >
> > This won't be a change that happens tomorrow, next week, or even next
> > cycle, but think as a goal, we should start moving in this direction
> > as soon as we can, and start building momentum.

andrea

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/333513