[openstack-dev] [Glare][Heat][Tacker][Murano][App-Catalog] [Glance] How to validate your binary data in OpenStack

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 00:03:41 UTC 2016

Thanks for your nice message Mikhail.

I, however, wanted to address a small correction to avoid any further
presumptions about Glare, Glance and Images API with the tags associated
in the email subject herewith. (also adding Glance tag to the list to
ensure we reach the appropriate Images related audience).

On 7/25/16 2:26 PM, Mikhail Fedosin wrote:
> Hello! Today I want to discuss with community one good feature in
> Glare - artifact validation. In short Glare allows to validate binary
> data before it's uploaded to store. For example, for Tosca we're able
> to check if uploaded yaml is a valid template [1], for vm images we
> can test their integrity. For sure, Glare supports quite sophisticated
> workflows, like sending murano packages to external CI
While this feature looks nothing less than excellent, it is unfortunate
that the Images API is built into Glance -- meaning Glance will remain
the reference implementation of the OpenStack Images API for the near to
long future. So, while it may be possible to test integrity of data
assets, it won't be possible for any operator/user/API-consumer to use
Glare for Images as Glance will remain the whole and sole API for Images
and all future features need to be implemented therein.

The reasons for this have been discussed briefly in the proposal
(review) of the Glare spec and in related conversations. If anyone needs
more info, please reach out.

> or validate Heat templates with given environments.
>
> So, I want to think out what validation is exactly required from Glare
> and how we can help related projects to succeed, checking and reliably
> storing their binary assets.
>
> Best regards,
> Mikhail Fedosin
>
> [1]