[openstack-dev] [kolla] Monitoring tooling

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Sun Jul 24 20:52:01 UTC 2016

On 23/07/16 00:15, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> At the midcycle we decided to push off implementing Monitoring until
> post Newton.  The rationale for this decision was that the core review
> team has enough on their plates and nobody was super keen to implement
> any monitoring solution given our other priorities.
>
> Like all good things, communities produce new folks that want to do new
> things, and Sensu was proposed as Kolla's monitoring solution (atleast
> the first one).  A developer that has done some good work has shown up
> to do the job as well :)  I have heard good things about Sensu, minus
> the fact that it is implemented in Ruby and I fear it may end up causing
> our gate a lot of hassle.

On a side note, we just founded a SIG in CentOS to bring in logging and
monitoring tools[1].

You were mentioning two different tasks: One is availability monitoring,
which we are doing with sensu/uchiwa
For performance monitoring there as a chain of collectd - graphite -
grafana.

Instead of graphite, one could use gnocchi[2] through a plugin.

These mentioned tools are implemented in Ruby(sensu/uchiwa),
Go/Nodejs(Grafana) and C (collectd). Graphite is a Django app.

[1] https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/OpsTools
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/gnocchi/grafana.html

--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>

Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
                    Michael O'Neill, Eric Shander