[openstack-dev] [Neutron][networking-ovn][networking-odl] Syncing neutron DB and OVN DB

Zhou, Han hzhou8 at ebay.com
Sat Jul 23 01:37:32 UTC 2016

Thanks Numan & Amitabha, this may be the right direction to solve the bug [1].

It basically implements Neutron API as async call, and queuing the request within DB transaction, and the ordering is preserved by the journal thread "lock" that is implemented with state PROCESSING plus DB transaction "with_for_update", with the help of validation functions for dependency checking (e.g. same object cannot be updated by 2 journal threads at the same time, etc.).

However, I didn't figure out how errors are handled with this approach. For example, a port is created in Neutron but ODL controller failed to create it although the journal thread successfully sent the request to ODL. And I didn't see how the port states (UP & DOWN) are handled (I didn’t see any call to ProvisioningBlock, so does it mean it will just be UP from the beginning?) It would be great if anyone can help answer this question.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/networking-ovn/+bug/1605089

Thanks,
Han Zhou