[openstack-dev] [horizon] Midcycle Summary

Rob Cresswell robert.cresswell at outlook.com
Thu Jul 21 17:40:55 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

We had the Horizon mid cycle meetup last week, and I wanted to highlight some of the discussion and decisions made.

Agenda: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/horizon-newton-midcycle
Notes: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/horizon-newton-midcycle-notes

- Deprecation of table inline edit: This was discussed at the summit as a potential item for cleanup. Inline edit in tables has only been implemented in a few places, but breaks often in both functionality and styling. The maintenance overhead was seen as bigger than the small advantages of using it, so we're in the process of removing the implementations in the Dashboard code and deprecating the framework parts.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/343861/

- OSProfiler integration: OSProfiler (https://github.com/openstack/osprofiler) is a small library that traces requests as they pass through the stack. We're working on exposing this as information in a developer dashboard panel so that devs can optimise their API calls and discover bottlenecks.

- Angular tables with Django actions: One of the highlighted issues with angular adoption is the "all-or-nothing" approach as a panel has really needed to be fully angular to feel the benefits in responsiveness. We've investigating launching the existing Python actions from Angular tables, so that we can move to client side search and pagination faster. The python tables will follow the usual deprecation process (minimum of two cycles).

- Glance V2 support: This is a critical requirement for this cycle. We've come up against some issues with features differing from V1, and have generally resolved to avoid working around missing API calls to reduce any hacks within Horizon and use the API as intended.

- Schema form: Angular workflows in their current state represent a nice improvement in responsive validation and quicker load times. However, the implementation is a quite verbose, has a couple of workarounds we'd like to remove, and generally requires quite in depth knowledge of AngularJS to use well. This is not ideal, as we'd like to build a system existing Horizon devs and plugins can extend quickly without learning a new framework. We're in the process of adopting a library that allows us to define complex forms and workflows in a JSON structure, which should make it much easier to take advantage of the new features. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/332745/

Overall, the mid cycle was a great success, and I'd like to thank everyone for attending! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email or ping me on IRC (robcresswell)

Rob