[openstack-dev] [Nova] Remove duplicate code using Data Driven Tests (DDT)

Bhor, Dinesh Dinesh.Bhor at nttdata.com
Thu Jul 21 09:03:47 UTC 2016

Hi Nova Devs,

Many times, there are a number of data sets that we have to run the same tests on.
And, to create a different test for each data set values is time-consuming and inefficient.

Data Driven Testing [1] overcomes this issue. Data-driven testing (DDT) is taking a test,
parameterizing it and then running that test with varying data. This allows you to run the
same test case with many varying inputs, therefore increasing coverage from a single test,
reduces code duplication and can ease up error tracing as well.

DDT is a third party library needs to be installed separately and invoke the
module when writing the tests. At present DDT is used in cinder and rally.

To start with, I have reported this as a bug [2] and added initial patch [3] for the same,
but couple of reviewers has suggested to discuss about this on ML as this is not a real bug.
IMO this is not a feature implementation and it's just a effort for simplifying our tests,
so a blueprint will be sufficient to track its progress.

So please let me know whether I can file a new blueprint or nova-specs to proceed with this.

[1] http://ddt.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1604798
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/344820/

Thank you,
Dinesh Bhor

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence
for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged,
confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient,
please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete
and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying
or forwarding.