[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Big tent? (Related to Plugins for all)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:22:56 UTC 2016

Duncan Thomas wrote:

> On 20 July 2016 at 19:57, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com
> <mailto:James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com>> wrote:
>

>     OK, I accept your analogy, even though I would view currency as the
>     will to create and push patches.
>
>     The problem you describe: getting the recipients to listen and accept
>     your patches, is also a common one.  The first essential is simple
>     minimal patches because they're hard to reject.
>
>     Once you've overcome the reject barrier, there's the indifference one
>     (no-one says no, but no-one says yes).
>
> [snip]
>
> The trouble with drive-by architecture patches (or large feature patches
> of any kind) is that it is often better *not* to merge them if you don't
> think the contributor is  going to stick around for a while. This
> changes are usually intrusive, and have repercussions that take time to
> discover. It's often difficult to keep a change clean when the original
> author isn't around to review the follow-on work.

Agreed, and knowing where yahoo and HP(e) are at right now (with regards
to openstack and ...) these kind of things are a little more prevalent
(with regards to quota, tasks...) now-a-days (for better or worse); not
how I want it to be but it's reality.

Which I guess is why I'd be nice to have cross-project architecture
'standardization' (? for lack of better word) with a more long term
strategic vision (vs localized tactical visions). Such things are
obviously not hard to get going (and are equally hard to sustain).