[openstack-dev] OpenStack Kolla - External Ceph

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Jul 20 17:12:30 UTC 2016

We use ceph with cinder and glance. I don't see a reason not to.

We do not set nova to use it for anything but cinder volumes though.

The reason being, if you set it up that way, your users have no way of opting out of the potential performance hit if using no local storage for non pets.

If you leave it nova local, you can always still get ceph remote storage for the whole vm by requesting the root disk be volume backed.

We also already have a ceph deployment managed without kolla, and that's unlikely to change.

So, for our site, our settings would probably be:
1. Deploy Ceph (enable_ceph="no")
2. Use Ceph with Glance (enable_ceph_glance="yes")
3. Use Ceph with Cinder (enable_ceph_cinder="yes")
4. Use Ceph with Nova (enable_ceph_nova="no")

Thanks,
Kevin