[openstack-dev] [horizon] Plugin stability, failing tests etc.

Rob Cresswell robert.cresswell at outlook.com
Wed Jul 20 14:08:56 UTC 2016

Yes, it would mean changing your requirements after a release. So, for example you might run two gate tests:

- A voting Horizon-stable/milestone test, (or both)
- A non-voting Horizon-master test

That gives you a lot of control over making your tests passing (multiple patches to make the Horizon-master test pass, or all in one patch set alongside the horizon-milestone test bump), rather than random failures each week. You'd still be able to track the failures as they come in, but they won't break your gate each time.

I don't think where horizon (the library) lives would change how you version against it. We don't currently have any plans to separate the two; while we realise its a desirable change, weighing the work and risk involved in the split architecture vs the end result, we've chosen to work on other higher priority items for now (performance, filtering improvements, angular work etc.)

Rob

On 20 July 2016 at 13:38, Hayes, Graham <graham.hayes at hpe.com<mailto:graham.hayes at hpe.com>> wrote:
On 20/07/2016 10:16, Rob Cresswell wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> So we've had a few issues with plugin stability recently, and its
> apparent that many plugins are building off Horizon master as a
> dependency. I would really advise against this. A more manageable
> development process may be to:
>
> - Base stable plugins against a stable release of Horizon
> - Base WIP versions/new plugins off the last Horizon milestone, b2 in
> this case, and then bump the version and capture issues within the same
> patch. This should prevent random breakages, and should allow you to
> just look at the release notes for that milestone.

So this would mean changing tox.ini or requirements files after each
horizon release?

This dovetails nicely with the other thread about how we should be doing
cross project interactions.

What would be best, would be having horizon released as a separate
library on pypi like the clients and oslo libs.

Then openstack-dashboard, and all the plugins could rely on the same
base library, without hacks like:

   deps =
     -r{toxinidir}/requirements.txt
     -r{toxinidir}/test-requirements.txt