[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] [CC neutron] CIDR overlap functionality and constraints

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Jul 20 09:55:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 19 2016, Mike Bayer wrote:

Hi Mike,

> We've developed a system by which CIDR math, such as that of detecting region
> overlaps, can be performed on a MySQL database within queries [1] [2].   This
> feature makes use of a custom stored function I helped to produce which
> provides functionality similar to that which Postgresql provides built in [3].
> SQLite also supports a simple way to add CIDR math functions as well which I've
> demonstrated at [4].

This is pretty cool.
(though it emphasizes all the sadness and energy spent to level down
things to MySQL and SQLite, sigh)

> The general verbosity and unfamiliarity of these well known SQL features is
> understandably being met with trepidation.  I've identified that this
> trepidation is likely rooted in the fact that unlike the many other elaborate
> SQL features we use like ALTER TABLE, savepoints, subqueries, SELECT FOR
> UPDATE, isolation levels, etc. etc., there is no warm and fuzzy abstraction
> layer here that is both greatly reducing the amount of explicit code needed to
> produce and upgrade the feature, as well as indicating that "someone else" will
> fix this system when it has problems.
>
> Rather than hobbling the entire Openstack ecosystem to using a small subset of
> what our relational databases are capable of, I'd like to propose that
> preferably somewhere in oslo.db, or elsewhere, we begin providing the
> foundation for the use of SQL features that are rooted in mechanisms such as
> triggers and small use of stored functions, and more specifically begin to
> produce network-math SQL features as the public API, starting with this one.

It none of this fits in SQLAlchemy nor alembic, I'd be glad to welcome
it in oslo.db – or better, something more generic, more re-usable and
less OpenStack-centric, if that's an option.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou
/* Free Software hacker