[openstack-dev] using feature branches, Swift's experiences

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:56:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 12:27 PM, John Dickinson <me at not.mn> wrote:

> Overall, using long-lived upstream feature branches has been very helpful
> for us and overall a positive experience.
>
> I've seen some other teams debate and discuss using a feature branch for
> their work but wonder about how it works. I've written down our experiences
> with using feature branches as part of OpenStack development, including
> some recommendations that help things go smoothly.
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Swift/feature_branches

Seriously nice writeup John & Swift team, thanks! I wish I had the benefit
of that in May when I chose not to do a feature branch for OSC's impending
major release, it would have removed the fear of the unknown from that
choice.

I am wondering if there are any corresponding bits of negative advice
around feature branches, of the sort 'don't do X, even if it seems like a
good idea, here is why it is not'.  This is how I see our stance on Git
submodules for example.

dt

--
Dean Troyer