[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Does Docker-Swarm not support inter-node/vm inter-container networking ?

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Tue Jul 19 18:09:04 UTC 2016

I have successfully setup devstack with Magnum,
following this link https://github.com/openstack/magnum/blob/master/doc/source/dev/quickstart.rst#building-and-using-a-swarm-bay

I created a Docker-Swarm bay and successfully launched some simple containers.

I noticed that Docker-Swarm’s Container Networking Solution seems to simply be an SNAT on its swarm-node VM.
And noticed that Docker-Swarm assigns the same Container subnet to each swarm-node VM … and re-uses Container IP Addresses from this subnet across swarm-node VMs.

Given this … it does not appear that Docker-Swarm can support networking between two containers on different swarm-node VMs.
Is this True ?
OR
Is there a configuration option, thru Magnum or Docker-Swarm to enable this inter-node inter-container Networking ?

Greg.