[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Big tent? (Related to Plugins for all)

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jul 18 21:08:25 UTC 2016

Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> [...]
> I feel like I'm just the messenger here. Please don't shoot me. I'm generally trying to provide good, though hard feedback to better a perceived problem. Many others would just stay silent or leave rather then have the difficult discussion.

And I think we all appreciate that :)

> [...]
> The openness of the big tent has allowed more choice in the ecosystem, which seems good, but I think it has also stalled development on the sorts of cross project issues that were important to our users and are now looking elsewhere for solutions.

As others have mentioned, we are always adapting and continuously
improving. Now that we completed the community-centric redefinition of
OpenStack (the "big tent"), we are I think in a better position to push
the sort of cross-project initiatives and normalization that you are
looking for. For example, we talked recently about having the Technical
Committee set "release goals" to drive simple coherence and visible
improvements across all the components of the stack.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)