[openstack-dev] [DIB] [Ironic] [TripleO] Moving IPA element out of DIB tree

Stephane Miller stephane at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 15 20:13:57 UTC 2016

To better support diskimage-builder based IPA images going forward, we'd
like to move the ironic-agent element into the ironic-python-agent
repository. This will involve:

- Improving support for having multiple copies of an element, so that we
may deprecate the diskimage-builder repository copy of the element. See
this change and related: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/334785
- Moving the element into the repository. This change has been proposed as
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/335583/
- Deprecating the diskimage-builder copy of the element (TBD)
- Adding tests to gate IPA changes on DIB builds (TBD)
- Add upload of DIB-built images to tarballs.openstack.org (TBD)

Many IPA deployers currently use DIB based IPA images using the
ironic-agent element. However, IPA does not officially support DIB - IPA
changes are not tested against DIB, nor are DIB-built images published.

This has the following disadvantages:

- The DIB element is not versioned along with IPA, resulting in potential
version mismatch and breakage
- ironic-agent element changes are not tested with DIB prior to merge

Understandably, tripleo and other projects may have concerns with regard to
this change. I hope to start a discussion here so that those concerns can
be addressed. Further in-depth discussion of this issue can be found in the
relevant launchpad bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ironic-python-agent/+bug/1590935

Thanks,
Stephane