[openstack-dev] [craton] Craton developer meeting Thurs July 14 at 1700 UTC

Jim Baker jim.baker at python.org
Wed Jul 13 23:23:49 UTC 2016

Please join us this Thursday for our weekly Craton developer video meeting.
To better accommodate people from Europe, we have moved the time for this
and subsequent Thursday meetings to 1700 UTC.

Topics to be discussed in this week's call include:

   - Inventory fabric. Recently we have decided this term best describes
   our inventory approach for Craton: a seamless wrapping of both Craton's
   source of truth information about inventory, such as config variables about
   hosts; and externally sourced data, using virtualization (much like
   symbolic links in a filesystem). There's still a lot of work to do to
   complete this vision.
   - Summary of discussion on proposed work with upstream TaskFlow to look
   at using containers for jobs. For Craton, our reference implementation is
   against OpenStack Ansible. Instead of using TaskFlow workers to in turn run
   an Ansible playbook, the idea is to run a container. This moves, and
   hopefully simplifies, the packaging problem for playbooks and any
   dependencies. If Craton has similar qualities to Hadoop map/reduce, then
   containers offers even more than packing jars and using ClassLoader
   approaches :)
   - Outstanding issues, as currently tracked here:
   https://waffle.io/rackerlabs/craton

Video conference calls are held on Vidyo:
https://vc.rackspace.com/flex.html?roomdirect.html&key=OpmgbcmKWcXB31Tbl7VHgTrytb0

(Please note, these meetings will be recorded and posted to YouTube, so if
you do not wish to be recorded, please do not attend the meeting.)

- Jim