[openstack-dev] [Nova] [RFC] ResourceProviderTags - Manage Capabilities with ResourceProvider

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Wed Jul 13 20:37:45 UTC 2016

On Jul 11, 2016, at 6:08 AM, Alex Xu <soulxu at gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, the capabilities can be defined as:
>
>     COMPUTE_HW_CAP_CPU_AVX
>     COMPUTE_HW_CAP_CPU_SSE
>     COMPUTE_HV_CAP_LIVE_MIGRATION
>     COMPUTE_HV_CAP_LIVE_SNAPSHOT
>
> ( The COMPUTE means this is coming from Nova. HW means this is hardware related Capabilities. HV means this is
>  capabilities of Hypervisor. But the catalog of Capabilities can be discussed separated. This propose focus on the
>  ResourceTags. We also have another idea about not using 'PREFIX' to manage the Tags. We can add attributes to the
>  Tags. Then we have more control on the Tags. This will describe separately in the bottom. )

I was ready to start ranting about using horribly mangled names to represent data, and then saw your comment about attributes for tags. Yes, a thousand times yes to attributes! There can be several standards, such as ‘compute’ or ‘networking’ that we use for some basic cross-cloud compatibility, but making them flexible is a must for adoption.

I can update the qualitative request spec to add ResourceProviderTags as a possible implementation.

-- Ed Leafe