[openstack-dev] Mascot/logo for your project

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 19:47:02 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Heidi Joy Tretheway
<heidijoy at openstack.org> wrote:
> Answering a few questions:
>
> Snip: "Just a little strange for a community-driven open source project to
> be replacing community-created mascots with top-down designs. I'm not
> terribly opposed to it, but would have definitely preferred if this had come
> across as a request instead of a mandate. I think it's cool and unique that
> the Ironic mascot was designed/drawn by one of our more prolific
> contributors (Lucas), and we'll lose some of that shine with a less-unique
> logo.”
>
> This is a request, not a mandate - you’re not required to choose a mascot.
> :-) We’re alerting you to the design resource that’s now available to you.
> We’ve done our best to honor community preferences by giving those projects
> with existing mascots priority to keep them. Because illustration styles
> vary widely, having a single illustrator allows us to create branding
> consistency while still keeping the content (mascot) unique to the project
> and chosen by the project team. We also reached out to PTLs last week to ask
> for questions/concerns.
>
> I think we could all be easily bribed if the foundation provided copious
> amounts of stickers to contributors with the new mascot designs on them. :P
>
> There are stickers in the works for sure! And I hope to create some
> additional awesomeness, depending on budget.
>
> What if a project doesn't come up with a mascot? Does the Foundation pick
> one for that project?
>
> If you don’t select a mascot, don’t worry—we won’t pick one for you. We’ll
> be happy to create a text-only treatment of just your project name. Our
> intent is to use the logos across openstack.org, Summit branding, and other
> marketing materials to promote your project. You’ll also get the image file
> and you can use it in your presentations or to create more swag if you like.
>
> Overall, the response to this has been hugely positive and we have more than
> half of project PTLs responding so far. More questions are very welcome.

Why so much restrictions on the logo?
Someone from my group proposed:
https://drive.google.com/a/mirantis.com/file/d/0BzWdugYdps1nMmNJTFBfaDNPZXM/view?usp=sharing

Isn't it "conventional"? I would like to understand why we restrict to
animals / nature things.

Emilien Macchi