[openstack-dev] [grenade] upgrades vs rootwrap

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Thu Jul 7 01:06:04 UTC 2016

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 at 03:06 Matthew Treinish <mtreinish at kortar.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 11:41:56AM -0500, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> > I just wonder how many deployments are actually relying on this, since as
> > noted elsewhere in this thread we don't really enforce this for all
> things,
> > only what happens to get tested in our CI system, e.g. the virtuozzo
> > rootwrap filters that don't have grenade testing.
>
> Sure, our testing coverage here is far from perfect, that's never been in
> dispute. It's always been best effort (which there has been limited in this
> space) like I'm not aware of anything doing any upgrade testing with
> virtuozzo enabled, or any of the other random ephemeral storage backends,
> **cough** ceph **cough**.  But, as I said before just because we don't
> catch all
> the issues isn't a reason to throw everything out the window.

So now we have identified some other examples recently added to the
codebase, that where not noticed by grenade for one reason or another.

Do we:
A) revert+postpone the virtuozzo changes until the next release?
B) add a releasenote saying you need to update the rootwrap filter first?

(Yes, this is a test)

It's boring, but not that hard to manually diff filters between releases -
I can do an audit if we'd like to build a list of other such changes.

 - Gus