[openstack-dev] [Charm][Congress] Upstreaming JuJu Charm for Openstack Congress

Bryan Sullivan blsaws at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 6 20:52:41 UTC 2016

 Hi James, responses inline.
Sorry for the weird formatting of this - I found that I was not subscribed to openstack-dev for some reason (probably inbox overload at some point). That's fixed now.

Thanks,
Bryan Sullivan

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com Wed Jul 6 09:12:08 UTC 2016
Hi Bryan

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 at 21:21 SULLIVAN, BRYAN L <bs3131 at att.com> wrote:

> I've been working in the OPNFV (https://wiki.opnfv.org/) on a JuJu Charm
> to install the OpenStack Congress service on the OPNFV reference platform.
> This charm should be useful for anyone that wants to install Congress for
> use with an OpenStack deployment, using the JuJu tool. I want to get the
> charm upstreamed as an official openstack.org git repo similar to the
> other repos for JuJu Charms for OpenStack services. I participate in the
> Congress team in OpenStack, who don't know the process for getting this
> charm upstreamed into an OpenStack repo, so I am reaching out to anyone on
> this list for help.

I can help you with that as I did most of the project-config changes for
the original move of OpenStack charms to git/gerrit a few months back.[bryan] Thanks, your help will be appreciated!

> I have been working with gnuoy on #juju and narindergupta on #opnfv-joid
> on this. The charm has been tested and used to successfully install
> Congress on the OPNFV Colorado release (Mitaka-based, re OpenStack). While
> there are some features we need to continue to work on (e.g. Horizon
> integration), the charm is largely complete and stable. We are currently
> integrating it into the OPNFV CI/CD system through which it will be
> regularly/automatically tested in any OPNFV JuJu-based deployment (with
> this charm, Congress will become a default service deployed in OPNFV thru
> JuJu).

That all sounds awesome; it would also be great to get that system doing
testing of reviews and providing feedback to proposed changes; we can cover
some of that using Canonical CI (you'll notice that feeding back on reviews
on the charms already being developed under git/gerrit), but having other
3rd party CI systems provide feedback would also be great!.[bryan] For now I don't expect OPNFV CI to be acting as an OpenStack 3rd party CI system (though that's being discussed for some cases e.g. Nova-EPA features). The CI/CD will though verify that the charm as published in the Charm Store (when it is) deploys Congress successfully on the OPNFV system.

Any pointers on how to get started toward creating an OpenStack git repo
> for this are appreciated.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/323716/ is probably a good start; this was
for the hacluster charm which got missed during the original migration.[bryan] Thanks, that looks like a good template for what's needed to add it.

You can add an additional field to the gerrit/projects.yaml entry to detail
the repository to do a one-time import from:

 upstream: https://github.com/gnuoy/charm-congress
<https://github.com/openstack-charmers/charm-interface-rabbitmq>

Lets make sure we get any outstanding changes merged into that repository
first, or we can use your git repo for the one-time import if that's easier
for now.[bryan] I'll make sure with Narinder etc that the key outstanding changes are merged first.

I'd really love to have congress as part of the OpenStack Charms project
(we're currently working towards official project status at the moment) but
I'd also like to ensure that you're engaged directly with reviews and
changes to the congress charm specifically, so I think its worth having a
slight different ACL configuration that includes the core charm acl config,
but also adds an additional charms-congress-core group with permissions to
Code-Review: +2 and Workflow: +1 for congress charm repository.

Does that make sense? you can reach out to me in #openstack-charms to
discuss in more detail if you like.[bryan] I will. I'm new to the OpenStack review system, though we use Gerrit in OPNFV, I need to get familiar with the workflow as typical in OpenStack. Just to level-set, I'm not really a Charm developer though I have found that Canonical is very good at helping me work thru the issues so I can reasonably expect to act as a maintainer/reviewer. This will help me get that direct experience. In the process I hope to pick up enough of the Charm design approach to be able to maintain the charm directly (currently it's a bit magical to me, being a linear/imperative programmer in the past).

Cheers

James