[openstack-dev] [grenade] upgrades vs rootwrap

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 6 15:25:33 UTC 2016

On 7/3/2016 10:25 PM, Angus Lees wrote:

> I see there are already a few other additions to the rootwrap filters in
> nova/cinder (the comments suggest (nova) libvirt/imagebackend.py,
> (cinder) remotefs.py, and (both) vzstorage.py).  The various
> privsep-only suggestions about fallback strategies don't help in these
> other examples.  Any corresponding code changes that rely on these new
> filters will also need to be reverted and resubmitted during next cycle
> - or do what usually happens and slip under the radar as they are not
> exercised by grenade.

This is a good point - there were a couple of rootwrap filters added to
nova already for virtuozzo features (vz volume attach support and
rescue/resize support using the prl_disk_tool binary). These would fail
grenade if we ran it with resize and the virtuozzo config with libvirt.

It seems a bit crazy to me to have to land rootwrap filters 6 months
ahead of the code that uses them though, which is why I didn't block
those changes from getting in.