[openstack-dev] [all] Status of the OpenStack port to Python 3

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 10:01:06 UTC 2016

On 24/06/16 12:17 -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
>On 06/24/2016 11:48 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>> Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2016-06-24 10:59:14 +0200:

>>> PyPy folks have been working on python 3 support for some time already:
>>> http://doc.pypy.org/en/latest/release-pypy3.3-v5.2-alpha1.html
>>> It's an alpha, but by the time we consider dropping Python 2 it will
>>> probably be released :)
>>
>> We're targeting Python >=3.4, right now.  We'll have to decide as
>> a community whether PyPy support is a sufficient reason to keep
>> support for "older" versions (either 2.x or earlier versions of 3).
>> Before we can have that discussion, though, we need to actually run on
>> Python 3, so let's focus on that and evaluate the landscape of other
>> interpreters when the porting work is done.
>
>+1, please don't get ahead of things until there is real full stack
>testing running on python3.
>
>It would also be good if some of our operators were running on python 3
>and providing feedback that it works in the real world before we even
>talk about dropping. Because our upstream testing (even the full stack
>testing) only can catch so much.
>
>So next steps:
>
>1) full stack testing of everything we've got on python3 - (are there
>volunteers to get that going?)
>2) complete Nova port to enable full stack testing on python3 for iaas base
>3) encourage operators to deploy with python3 in production
>4) gather real world feedback, develop rest of plan

Just one to +1 the above steps. I'd be very hesitant to make any plan until we
are able to get not only nova but all the projects in the starter-kit:compute[0]
running pn python3 (and w/ a full stack test).

[0] https://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/starter-kit_compute.html

Flavio

--
@flaper87