[openstack-dev] [release] the meaning of the release:managed tag now that everything is released:managed

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Jul 1 18:42:47 UTC 2016

On 7/1/16, 11:18 AM, "Doug Hellmann" <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:

>Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2016-07-01 13:50:30 +0000:
>> On 2016-07-01 11:24:27 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> > Short answer is: release:managed doesn't mean that much anymore (all
>> > official projects are "managed"), so we'll likely retire it ASAP.
>> [...]
>>
>> If the meaning has been reduced to "this project is allowed to
>> request tagging by the Release Management team" then I agree it's no
>> longer necessary since any official project _can_ do that. If the
>> meaning is "this project is _only_ allowed to be tagged by the
>> Release Management team" then I can still see some use for it, since
>> there are plenty of official projects that currently follow their
>> own independent release process and push their own tags instead.
>
>I've been telling folks throughout this cycle that we weren't going to
>add the "managed" tag to any new projects because we were considering
>redefining the tag and we would want to do that first. While discussing
>how to redefine it, we realized its meaning is now covered by other
>tags, so we've proposed to drop it instead [1].
>
>The "release:managed" tag used to convey information about how much
>the release team did for the project team in a way that was (we
>hoped) useful to consumers of the project. That included things we
>no longer do at all for anyone, like update bug milestones and
>upload artifacts to launchpad, as well as things that are now encoded
>in the other release tags like "perform the tagging of the release".
>
>At the start of this cycle we updated the gerrit ACLs so that all
>projects using a cycle-with* release model *must* have the release
>team process their releases (if we have any such projects who we
>missed, or who were added later and not updated, we need to fix
>that). Projects using the independent release model may process
>their own releases or may ask the release team to do it. Either
>way, since those projects are by definition not part of the cycle
>releases we don't consider it "interesting" to their consumers to
>say who is actually doing the releases (feedback on that assumption
>is of course welcome).
>
>Doug
>
>[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/335440/

Doug,

Thanks for the response.  I understand where your coming from; I had also
thought the release:managed tag was meaningless at this point, but hey -
its a tag so I had planned to apply for it since we meet the criteria
(which as far as I can tell means following the freeze model - everything
else is enforced by the ACL change that happened at the end of Mitaka (or
whenever that was)).

Since it is being removed, we won't apply.

Thanks for helping get to the bottom of this :)

Regards
-steve