[openstack-dev] [nova] do not account compute resource of instances in state SHELVED_OFFLOADED

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Sun Jan 31 17:57:04 UTC 2016

On 27 January 2016 at 16:59, Sascha Vogt <sascha.vogt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Am 27.01.2016 um 10:38 schrieb Andrew Laski:
>> 1. This allows for a poor experience where a user would not be able to
>> turn on and use an instance that they already have due to overquota.
>> This is a change from the current behavior where they just can't create
>> resources, now something they have is unusable.
> That is a valid point, though I think if it's configurable it is up to
> the operator to use that feature.

We need to make sure we don't have configuration values that change
the semantic of our API.
Such things, at a minimum, need to be discoverable, but are best avoided.

>> 2. I anticipate a further ask for a separate quota for the number of
>> offloaded resources being used to prevent just continually spinning up
>> and shelving instances with no limit.  Because while disk/ram/cpu
>> resources are not being consumed by an offloaded instance network and
>> volume resources remain consumed and storage is required is Glance for
>> the offloaded disk.  And adding this additional quota adds more
>> complexity to shelving which is already overly complex and not well
>> understood.
> I think an off-loaded / shelved resource should still count against the
> quota being used (instance, allocated floating IPs, disk space etc) just
> not the resources which are no longer consumed (CPU and RAM)

OK, but that does mean unshelve can fail due to qutoa. Maybe thats OK?

> In addition I think it would make sense to introduce a quota for Glance
> and ephemeral disk size and a shelved instance could (should) still
> count against those quotas.

The quota really should live with the project that owns the resource.
i.e. nova has the "ephemeral" disk quota, but glance should have the
glance quota.

Thanks,
John