[openstack-dev] [telemetry][ceilometer] New project: collectd-ceilometer-plugin

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Jan 29 17:30:01 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 29 2016, Foley, Emma L wrote:

> Supporting statsd would require some more investigation, as collectd's
> statsd plugin supports reading stats from the system, but not writing
> them.

I'm not sure what that means?
https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:StatsD seems to indicate it
can send metrics to a statsd daemon.

>          Also, what are the usage figures for gnocchi?

42?
Not sure what that means :)

> How many people use it, and how easy is it to convert existing
> deployments to use gnocchi?

We don't know how many people are using it, as usual people barely
communicate on their usage and we only know a few operators we are
working with.
There's no conversion tool as of today that I am aware of.

> I mean, if someone was upgrading, would their data be preserved?

It's not an upgrade, it'd be a migration.
So far nobody ever asked for migrating any data, considering it's
simpler to store to Ceilometer database and Gnocchi at the same time for
a while, and then ditch Ceilometer database.

> How easy is it to consume gnocchi statistics using an external
> system/application?

There's a complete REST API documented online at:

  http://gnocchi.xyz/rest.html

I'd say it's pretty easy, but I am not objective obviously.

> I'm not against the idea, but it requires a little more consideration.

Against which idea exactly?

I'm not even sure what you're trying to do and why you're doing in the
first place, so I was just throwing alternative ideas for the sake of
it.

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou