[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] :Regarding wild card configuration in pipeline.yaml

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Fri Jan 29 14:35:09 UTC 2016

  I have a meter subscription m1.* for publisher p1 and I need a subset of m1.*  notifications for ex:m1.xyz.* for publisher p2.
If we add p2 to already exisiting sink along with p1,  p2 will get other notification's along with m1.xyz.* which are not needed for p2.

To avoid this we had the following entry in pipeline;

sources:
      -name : m1meter
       meters: m1.*,!m1.xyz.*
       sinks:
            -m1sink
      -name : m2meter
       meters:m1.xyz.*
       sinks:
            -m2sink
sinks:
     -name: m1sink
      publishers:
               -p1

      -name: m2sink
      publishers:
               -p1
               -p2

you will unfortunately need to explicitly list out your required meters explicitly (without) wildcard.

>From reply mail it seems there is no strict restriction to support this.Could you please let me know how should we handle such cases in ceilometer.
If we do code modification in pipeline module of ceilometer does it effects any other parts of ceilometer frame work.

the code filtering happens here: https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/pipeline.py#L275-L287 and similarly in previous releases.

it will not affect anything other than pipeline filtering so it should be safe to change. you are welcome to push your change to community. as i mentioned previously, i don't think there is a restriction on having either wildcard or negative wildcard support in one pipeline. it was just how it was implemented as we did not have a requirement to deal with both (and the added complexity of ordering that comes with it)

--
gord