[openstack-dev] [puppet] separated controller/compute installations using puppet modules

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 15:27:05 UTC 2016

On 01/28/2016 10:14 AM, Matt Fischer wrote:
> The way I'd recommend is to write your own manifests that include the
> openstack modules. I'd use roles and profiles which make it easy to move
> things around, but two simple manifests will also work. As Emilien once
> said we give you the ingredients but don't cook for you. If you want to
> just do two manifests, the integration tests you found are a good start
> but you will have to maintain them on your own.

Having a multi-node scenario is something in our roadmap:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/HND-puppet-ci

In Tokyo Summit we wanted to start looking at multi-node jobs where
compute services would be separated.
Unfortunately, nothing is really in place at the moment on our side.

We're currently having design discussions around our integration jobs:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/puppet-openstack-integration-scenarios

Feel free to participate and eventually contribute back.

Regarding your need, Matt is right.
We don't "cook" for you, just because our Puppet modules are so flexible
that you can define your own architecture for any OpenStack service -
which is not something you can entirely do with OpenStack Ansible as a
comparison.
The manifests on puppet-openstack-integration are useful for our
upstream CI but also for all-in-one testing. They don't aim for
production deployments, and we expect our community skilled enough in
Puppet to know how to write a manifest.
Though we're doing our best to provide some documentation and examples.
For example in puppet-nova:
https://github.com/openstack/puppet-nova/blob/master/README.md

There are 2 kind of Puppet OpenStack users at this time:

* Installer folks: they take our modules and write an interface to
compose layers with different backends, drivers, configurations support.
The 2 most popular installers using our modules are Fuel & TripleO.

* People who compose their own manifests (that's your case right now I
guess?) - You'll need to take time to read our modules/manifests and
understand how we split services and configure them.
I can provide you an example at how we compose in TripleO:
https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/tree/master/puppet/manifests

I hope all of this helps, and feel free to bring any feedback or ask for
more informations,

> Don't use the openstack module, it's abadonded and should be
> removed/deleted, IMHO.

Let me clear this sentence to avoid any confusion:
https://forge.puppetlabs.com/puppetlabs/openstack is a Puppet module
that is now outdated and I'm not sure it's maintained anymore.
It was an effort out of OpenStack community, led by Puppetlabs.