[openstack-dev] project overlap (was Re: Announcing Ekko -- Scalable block-based backup for OpenStack)

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Thu Jan 28 11:34:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016, Jay Pipes wrote:

> It was Joe Gordon and others who advised that there was nothing in the
> project acceptance criteria that mentioned a lack of API overlap as a
> condition for inclusion.

Let's be honest: From my perspective Joe (and others) had it in for
Ceilometer and was hoping that the validation of Monasca would have some
impact on improving the Telemetry situation, so the lack of criteria
that would have prevent Monasca's inclusion is convenient.

Joe had some pretty good reasons for his dislike of ceilometer but
it's not clear to me that competition or even the concept of the
big tent in general has done or can do anything to improve
ceilometer or any other project that has some issues.

What's improved ceilometer (and it has, a lot) is that people
continued working on it and the people who use it continued
reporting bugs, patches, etc.

If we have two projects that are providing the same service then
both of those pools of people are diluted.

The error, if we really want to dig back into history, is that for
some reason we couldn't get the Ceilometer and Monasca projects to
work together as a single team. It's not clear why that is. People
claim it was in part because of different goals, metering specific
OpenStack stuff versus monitoring and/or metering arbitrary stuff.
That's got to be BS because the technology for managing that stuff
is pretty much the same and the APIs for getting at

So, effectively some people didn't want to work together and we, as
a community, let it happen. That's an illness that we should learn
from and try to vaccinate against, preferably in a natural fashion
but if we have to declare it by fiat then that's the job I think the
TC should be doing.

> I think there should definitely be some requirement added to the project
> acceptance criteria, but I'm in the minority it seems in this thinking.

I can get behind that.

--
Chris Dent               (¨s¡ã¡õ¡ã)¨s¦à©ß©¥©ß            http://anticdent.org/