[openstack-dev] [Fuel][Plugins] Tasks ordering between plugins

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 23:55:07 UTC 2016

Simon, you should use the deployment_tasks.yaml interface (which will
likely eventually move to '*/tasks.yaml' (to mimic library) This uses the
same task system as granular deploy. you can set task ordering between
known tasks and roles names, in the case that they are not registered they
will simply be ignored.

The result will be that the engine will parse out the precise location for
tasks to run in the graph (you can run outside of the post-deployment with
them). In most cases, you will not need to specify precise ordering between
the plugins. I know there is the odd case that two components need to
modify the same parts, there are a couple of ways we can work this out, but
it ultimately will come down to a case-by case until we solidify the
config-db workflow

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 5:45 AM Simon Pasquier <spasquier at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see that tasks.yaml is going to be deprecated in the future MOS versions
> [1]. I've got one question regarding the ordering of tasks between
> different plugins.
> With tasks.yaml, it was possible to coordinate the execution of tasks
> between plugins without prior knowledge of which plugins were installed [2].
> For example, lets say we have 2 plugins: A and B. The plugins may or may
> not be installed in the same environment and the tasks execution should be:
> 1. Run task X for plugin A (if installed).
> 2. Run task Y for plugin B (if installed).
> 3. Run task Z for plugin A (if installed).
>
> Right now, we can set task priorities like:
>
> # tasks.yaml for plugin A
> - role: ['*']
>   stage: post_deployment/1000
>   type: puppet
>   parameters:
>     puppet_manifest: puppet/manifests/task_X.pp
>     puppet_modules: puppet/modules
>
> - role: ['*']
>   stage: post_deployment/3000
>   type: puppet
>   parameters:
>     puppet_manifest: puppet/manifests/task_Z.pp
>     puppet_modules: puppet/modules
>
> # tasks.yaml for plugin B
> - role: ['*']
>   stage: post_deployment/2000
>   type: puppet
>   parameters:
>     puppet_manifest: puppet/manifests/task_Y.pp
>     puppet_modules: puppet/modules
>
> How would it be handled without tasks.yaml?
>
> Regards,
> Simon

> [2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fuel/Plugins#Plugins_deployment_order

Andrew Woodward