[openstack-dev] Announcing Ekko -- Scalable block-based backup for OpenStack

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Wed Jan 27 17:01:56 UTC 2016

On 27/01/2016 10:51 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> On 01/27/2016 12:53 PM, gordon chung wrote:
>>> It makes for a crappy user experience. Crappier than the crappy user
>>> experience that OpenStack API users already have because we have done a
>>> crappy job shepherding projects in order to make sure there isn't
>>> overlap between their APIs (yes, Ceilometer and Monasca, I'm looking
>>> directly at you).
>> ... yes, Ceilometer can easily handle your events and meters and store
>> them in either Elasticsearch or Gnocchi for visualisations. you just
>> need to create a new definition in our mapping files[1][2]. you will
>> definitely want to coordinate the naming of your messages. ie.
>> event_type == backup.<ekko_scope> and event_type ==
>> backup.<freezer_scope>.
>
> This isn't at all what I was referring to, actually. I was referring
> to my belief that we (the API WG, the TC, whatever...) have failed to
> properly prevent almost complete and total overlap of the Ceilometer
> [1] and Monasca [2] REST APIs.
>
> They are virtually identical in purpose, but in frustrating
> slightly-inconsistent ways. and this means that users of the
> "OpenStack APIs" have absolutely no idea what the "OpenStack Telemetry
> API" really is.
>
> Both APIs have /alarms as a top-level resource endpoint. One of them
> refers to the alarm notification with /alarms, while the other refers
> to the alarm definition with /alarms.
>
> One API has /meters as a top-level resource endpoint. The other uses
> /metrics to mean the exact same thing.
>
> One API has /samples as a top-level resource endpoint. The other uses
> /metrics/measurements to mean the exact same thing.
>
> One API returns a list JSON object for list results. The other returns
> a dict JSON object with a "links" key and an "elements" key.
>
> And the list goes on... all producing a horrible non-unified,
> overly-complicated and redundant experience for our API users.
>
> Best,
> -jay
>
> [1] http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref-telemetry-v2.html
> [2]
> https://github.com/openstack/monasca-api/blob/master/docs/monasca-api-spec.md

... i'm aware, thus the leading dots. as i saw no suggestions in your
message -- just a statement -- i chose to provide some 'hopefully'
constructive comments rather than make assumption on what you were
hinting at. obviously, no one is able to foresee the existence of a
project built internally within another company let alone the api of
said project, i'm not sure what the proposed resolution is.

as the scope is different between ekko and freezer (same for monasca and
telemetry according to governance voting[1]) what is the issue with
having overlaps? bringing in CADF[2], if you define your taxonomy
correctly, sharing a common base is fine as long as there exists enough
granularity in how you define your resources that differentiates a
'freezer' resource and an 'ekko' resource. that said, if they are truly
the same, then you should probably be debating why you have two of the
same thing instead of api.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/213183/
[2]
https://www.dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0262_1.0.0.pdf