[openstack-dev] [mistral][stable] Inappropriate changes backported to stable/liberty

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jan 27 13:14:37 UTC 2016

Starting with stable/liberty, each project now owns when to do point
releases for their stable branches (rather than a large coordinated
stable branch point release that the stable-maint-core team does).

There are a couple of core projects which have not done a stable/liberty
point release since the liberty GA, and Mistral is one of them.

I started looking at how many changes have been merged into
stable/liberty and there are quite a few [1]. However, I also see that
some of them, e.g. [2], are backporting features, which is in clear
violation of the stable branch policy for appropriate fixes [3].

There is currently only a 'has-stable-branches' [4] tag in the
governance repo which means a project just has stable branches.

ttx is planning on proposing a new tag, something like
follows-stable-policy, which would basically indicate whether or not a
project is following the stable branch policy, which in this case
Mistral would not be getting that tag.

I guess the question I have at this point is whether or not Mistral
should even release a 1.0.1 with these types of changes in
stable/liberty, or if they should be reverted before a 1.0.1 release to
make the branch align with the stable branch policy. The answer might
depend on how many of these types of changes have been backported and
merged (I haven't scrubbed the list).

[1]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/mistral+branch:stable/liberty+status:merged
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/248763/