[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Stabilization cycles: Elaborating on the idea to move it forward

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jan 27 07:16:24 UTC 2016

On 01/27/2016 06:20 AM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
>> In which way what you're proposing above is different from what we
>> currently have (ie: beta 1, 2 and 3)?
>
> we'd be communicating more strenuously to consumers that this was
> really meant to be a release that would be a very very very smooth
> upgrade experience as it really focuses on stability.

That's IMO a very dangerous thing to do. These wouldn't be stable
releases without security support. Unless there's 3 times the staffing
in the stable release team, let's not do that. Though I very much
welcome anyone to give feedback on the beta releases (I'm very close
from announcing Mitaka b2 for Debian & Ubuntu btw).

We've been discussing release cadence over and over again. Some want it
quicker (mostly devs), some want it slower (mostly: ops) and always, the
consensus was that what we have right now is a good compromise.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)