[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Should we have a TripleO API, or simply use Mistral?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Mon Jan 25 21:49:19 UTC 2016

On 01/25/2016 05:56 AM, Dougal Matthews wrote:
> Great post Ben, I largely agree with what you are saying, a lot of your
> points
> are valid concerns that I share. Just a couple of comments inline as I
> try to
> avoid what others have said.
>
> On 22 January 2016 at 17:24, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com
> <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>> wrote:
>
>     So I haven't weighed in on this yet, in part because I was on vacation
>     when it was first proposed and missed a lot of the initial discussion,
>     and also because I wanted to take some time to order my thoughts on it.
>      Also because my initial reaction...was not conducive to calm and
>     rational discussion. ;-)
>
>     The tldr is that I don't like it.  To explain why, I'm going to make a
>     list (everyone loves lists, right? Top $NUMBER reasons we should stop
>     expecting other people to write our API for us):
>
>     1) We've been down this road before.  Except last time it was with Heat.
>      I'm being somewhat tongue-in-cheek here, but expecting a general
>     service to provide us a user-friendly API for our specific use case just
>     doesn't make sense to me.
>

> I don't really expect the API to be used directly by many users - how many
> users directly used the Tuskar API? I suspect they all used it via the CLI
> tools or the GUI. I could be completely wrong with the assumption but I
> think
> the primary entry points will be the CLI and GUI we expose. Only advanced
> users would need to consider Mistral.

I touched on this in my reply to Dan as well, but I don't believe this
is true.  The CLI needs to be a very thin wrapper around whatever REST
API we're calling.  Basically it should be taking params from the
command-line and passing them through to $API.  If it does _any_
processing of them, then that's something the GUI has to duplicate
(assuming it can) and we have an architectural problem.

That being said, it does appear as though I misunderstood the initial
proposal.  I thought we were talking about replacing openstack overcloud
* (and friends) commands with mistral calls, but it appears the proposal
was to simply pull certain pieces of the commands out and replace them
with Mistral (which as I noted in my other reply doesn't actually solve
the problem the TripleO API was trying to solve), so it's possible some
of the things I was arguing against weren't actually being proposed. :-)