[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Stabilization cycles: Elaborating on the idea to move it forward

Ghe Rivero ghe.rivero at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:19:23 UTC 2016

Quoting Flavio Percoco (2016-01-25 16:06:36)
> On 20/01/16 13:23 -0430, Flavio Percoco wrote:
> >Thoughts? Feedback?
>
> Hey Folks,
>
> Thanks a lot for the feedback. Great comments and proposals in the many replies.
> I've gone through the whole thread and collected the most common feedback.
> Here's the summary:
>
> - The general idea of planning some sort of stabilization for a project is good
>   but considering a cycle for it is terrible. It'd be easier if development
>   cycles would be shorter but the 6-month based development cycles don't allow
>   for planning this properly.
>
> - Therefore, milestones are more likely to be good for this but there has to be
>   a good plan. What will happen with on-going features? How does a project
>   decide what to merge or not? Is it really going to help with reviews/bugs
>   backlog? or would this just increase the bakclog?

There is still a option about having a sorter development cycle. As Thierry
said in a previous message in this thread:

"It is not entirely impossible that due to
events organization we'll accidentally have a shorter cycle (say, 4
months instead of 6) in the future here and there. I could totally see
projects take advantage of such a short cycle to place a "stabilization
cycle" or another limited-feature-addition period."

Would be nice to have more info about it. I guess if he mentioned it, it's
because they foundation already faced that possibility.

Ghe Rivero