[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] ceilometer Floatingip Pollster change

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 22:08:18 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 3:27 PM, gord chung <gord at live.ca> wrote:

> i guess i should probably add that the current pollster doesn't work
> because of limitation in nova api[1].
> if we want to support discovery of whether nova-network or neutron is
> used, the existing pollster and nova-api still needs to be fixed.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1346429

Yea I think since the existing pollster doesnt return any data, it
shouldn't be disruptive to replace with neutron api based fip pollster as i
indicated.
We can always add endpoint discovery at a later time when nova api gives
the expected fip data, so we can poll nova/neutron api's when available.
For now, I feel we should go ahead with the proposed implementation[1].

Any objections?

[1]  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/269369/

~ Pradeep

> On 19/01/2016 11:28 PM, Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
>
> Ceilometer floatingip pollster currently polls the nova api to get the
> floating ip info periodically. But due to limitations in the nova api as
> listed in this bug[1],
> the data ceilometer receives isn't all that useful. Nova doesn't return
> this info for all tenants. There has been some work in juno time frame but
> it was
> reverted due to the fact that the nova api logs were being spammed [2].
>
> Due to these concerns, the proposal now is to use the neutron api to get
> this data as proposed in this patch[3]. What we would like to know is,
>

> 1. Is the data gathered from current floating ip pollster being used? if
> so how and what context ?
>
> 2. This might only be an issue for pure nova-network scenario, but even
> that i'm not sure how useful the current data we gather is?
>
> 3. Are there any other concerns regarding this change that we should
> discuss?
>
> Any feedback appreciated,
>

> Thanks,
> ~ Pradeep