[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Relieving CI/gate jenkins bottleneck

Alex Schultz aschultz at mirantis.com
Wed Jan 20 17:12:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Matthew Mosesohn
<mmosesohn at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Unit tests on CI and gate bottleneck are really slowing down commit
> progress. We recently had a meeting to discuss possible ways to improve
> this, including symlinks, caching git repositories, etc, but one thing we
> can do much faster is to simply disable 3.3-3.7 puppet jobs. We don't deploy
> Fuel 9.0 (or 8.0) on earlier Puppet versions, so what value is there to the
> checks? I propose we remove these tests, and hopefully we will see some
> immediate relief.

How about we reduce to 3.3, 3.4, 3.8 and 4?  We would remove  3.6 and
3.7 which would reduce the number of jobs by a third  The goal of
keeping the others was to ensure that if/when we are able to install
fuel-library without our version of puppet that a user could use
whatever version their environment has. There were some changes
between 3.3 and 3.4 (if I remember correctly) so we should keep
checking that as it's also the oldest version supported by the
upstream puppet openstack modules.  I also think 3.3 is the version
that ships with 14.04.  Additionally we used 3.4 in fuel 7 and below
so we should keep those around.

-Alex