[openstack-dev] [all] pip 8 no longer over-installs system packages [was: Gate failure]

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 10:40:38 UTC 2016

On 01/20/2016 06:21 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Now docs, pep8, and python27 are broken as well here:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/268687/

Ok, so this is a weird one.  On trusty, argparse is sort of in, and
sort of out of the virtualenv.  I think it has to do with [1]

---
(test)ubuntu at trusty:/tmp$ pip install argparse
Requirement already satisfied (use --upgrade to upgrade): argparse in /usr/lib/python2.7
Cleaning up...
(test)ubuntu at trusty:/tmp$ pip install --upgrade argparse
Downloading/unpacking argparse from https://pypi.python.org/packages/2.7/a/argparse/argparse-1.4.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl#md5=c37216a954c8669054e2b2c54853dd49
  Downloading argparse-1.4.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: argparse
  Found existing installation: argparse 1.2.1
    Not uninstalling argparse at /usr/lib/python2.7, outside environment /tmp/test
Successfully installed argparse
Cleaning up...
---

However, this has now turned into an error

---
(test)ubuntu at trusty:/tmp$ pip install --upgrade pip
Downloading/unpacking pip from https://pypi.python.org/packages/py2.py3/p/pip/pip-8.0.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl#md5=7b1da5eba510e1631791dcf300657916
  Downloading pip-8.0.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.2MB): 1.2MB downloaded
Installing collected packages: pip
  Found existing installation: pip 1.5.4
    Uninstalling pip:
      Successfully uninstalled pip
Successfully installed pip
Cleaning up...
(test)ubuntu at trusty:/tmp$ pip install -U argparse
Collecting argparse
  Downloading argparse-1.4.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl
Installing collected packages: argparse
  Found existing installation: argparse 1.2.1
Detected a distutils installed project ('argparse') which we cannot uninstall. The metadata provided by distutils does not contain a list of files which have been installed, so pip does not know which files to uninstall.
---

So, yeah :(

-i

[1] https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1570