[openstack-dev] [devstack] pip 8 no longer over-installs system packages [was: Gate failure]

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Wed Jan 20 06:14:58 UTC 2016

On 01/20/2016 04:14 PM, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On 01/20/2016 12:53 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> I suspect we'll see fallout in unit tests too, once new images are
>> built.
>
> If the images can build ...

yeah, dib is not happy about this either

> Just removing the directory as pip
> used to do has been enough to keep things going.

To be clear, what happens is that pip removes the egg-info file and
then overwrites the system installed files.  This is, of course,
unsafe, but we generally get away with it.

> Presume we can't remove the system python-* packages for these tools
> because other bits of the system rely on it.  We've been down the path
> of creating dummy packages before, I think ... that never got very
> far.

Another option would be for us to just keep a list of egg-info files
to remove within devstack and more or less do what pip was doing
before.

> Would pip accept maybe a environment flag to restore the old ability
> to remove based on the egg-info?  Is it really so bad given what
> devstack is doing?

I proposed a revert in [1] which I'm sure people will have opinions
on.

[1] https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/3389