[openstack-dev] [Nova] sponsor some LVM development

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue Jan 19 11:18:03 UTC 2016

Hello, Premysl,

I'm not working on these features, however I am working in this area of
code implementing the libvirt storage pools spec. If anybody does start
working on this, please reach out to coordinate as I have a bunch of
related patches. My work should also make your features significantly
easier to implement.

Out of curiosity, can you explain why you want to use LVM specifically over
the file-based backends?

Matt

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Premysl Kouril <premysl.kouril at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> we are a Europe based operator and we have a case for LVM based nova
> instances in our new cloud infrastructure. We are currently
> considering to contribute to OpenStack Nova to implement some features
> which are currently not supported for LVM based instances (they are
> only supported for raw/qcow2 file based instances). As an example of
> such features - nova block live migration or thin provisioning - these
> nowadays don't work with LVM based instances (they do work for file
> based).
>
> Before actually diving into development here internally - we wanted to
> check on possibility to actually sponsor this development within
> existing community. So if there is someone who would be interested in
> this work please drop me an email.
>
> Regards,
> Prema

Matthew Booth