[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS][Octavia] Should subnet be optional on member create?

Stephen Balukoff sbalukoff at bluebox.net
Mon Jan 18 22:45:28 UTC 2016

Vivek--

"Member" in this case refers to an IP address that (probably) lives on a
tenant back-end network. We can't specify just the IP address when talking
to such an IP since tenant subnets may use overlapping IP ranges (ie. in
this case, subnet is required). In the case of the namespace driver and
Octavia, we use the subnet parameter for all members to determine which
back-end networks the load balancing software needs a port on.

I think the original use case for making subnet optional was the idea that
sometimes a tenant would like to add a "member" IP that is not part of
their tenant networks at all--  this is more than likely an IP address that
lives outside the local cloud. The assumption, then, would be that this IP
address should be reachable through standard routing from wherever the load
balancer happens to live on the network. That is to say, the load balancer
will try to get to such an IP address via its default gateway, unless it
has a more specific route.

As far as I'm aware, this use case is still valid and being asked for by
tenants. Therefore, I'm in favor of making member subnet optional.

Stephen

Stephen Balukoff
Principal Technologist
Blue Box, An IBM Company