[openstack-dev] Shovel (RackHD/OpenStack)

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Sat Jan 16 01:44:28 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 06:44:42PM +0000, Heck, Joseph wrote:
> They’re definitely overlapping, but RackHD wasn’t created, and isn’t
> meant, to be specific to OpenStack, but as a more general purpose need for
> low level automation of hardware. Just like there’s Cobbler, Razor, and
> Hanlon out there - RackHD isn’t aiming to be OpenStack, just agnostic, and
> with some different features and functionality than what Ironic is trying
> to do.

Right, I agree. I just don't see why a deployer would want to stand up
ironic (and shovel) if they already had RackHD running, or vice versa.
There's a pretty small feature gap, and it seems like features Ironic
would like to have but doesn't yet.

> That said, we do think they could work well together, which was the point
> of putting together this effort and submitting it to the community for
> potential inclusion within OpenStack, in my mind in the same fashion that
> you have a Cisco or Juniper driver set of Neutron (yes, I still think of
> it as Quantum). I suggested that Andre reach out to you guys to see how
> best to accommodate that.
>
> We’ve started the process to set it up for incubation - is that still the
> best route to take? Or more specifically to the general community as well
> to to Ironic folks - in what way can we provide the means to make this
> most available to the OpenStack Community at large?
>
> I haven’t been following the community and the norms closely for a couple
> years - Stackforge appears to have dissipated in favor of projects in
> incubation to share things like this. Is that accurate?

Right, like Jeremy said, you'd now just create an unofficial OpenStack
project, as described here:
http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/creators.html

Then you'd be able to use the OpenStack infrastructure, like CI systems
and Launchpad.

The governance step is the part that makes it "official", and you could
skip that for now. Later, if we do find that this is something that
should be managed by the Ironic team, we'd add it to the Ironic project
in the governance repo, making it an official OpenStack project. Note
that you could also start your own project team (similar to the ironic
project team) with its own mission statement and set of code
repositories. This is roughly the equivalent of the old "incubation"
thing OpenStack used to do.

Does that help?

// jim