[openstack-dev] [all] Proposal: copyright-holders file in each project, or copyright holding forced to the OpenStack Foundation

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 15:28:24 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 12:53:49PM +0000, Chris Dent wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2016, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
> >Whatever we choose, I think we should ban having copyright holding text
> >within our source code. While licensing is a good idea, as it is
> >accurate, the copyright holding information isn't and it's just missleading.
>
> I think we should not add new copyright notifications in files.
>
> I'd also be happy to see all the existing ones removed, but that may
> be a bigger problem.

Only the copyright holder who added the notice is permitted to
remove it. ie you can't unilaterally remove Copyright notices
added by other copyright holders. See LICENSE term (4)(c)

While you could undertake an exercise to get agreement from
every copyright holder to remote their notices, its is honestly
not worth the work IMHO.

> >If I was the only person to choose, I'd say let's go for 1/, but
> >probably managers of every company wont agree.
>
> I think option one is correct.

Copyright assignment is never the correct answer.

Regards,
Daniel