[openstack-dev] [neutron] Testing Neutron with latest OVS

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Jan 15 01:04:04 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-14 22:14:09 +0000 (+0000), Sean M. Collins wrote:
[...]
> The problem we have is - most operators are using Ubuntu according to
> the user survey. Most likely they are using LTS releases. We already get
> flack for our pace of releases and our release lifecycle duration, so
> if we were to move off LTS for our gate, we would be pushing operators
> to move to more frequent upgrades for their base operating system. Maybe
> that's a discussion that needs to be had, but it will be contentious.

As a point of reference, the OpenStack Infrastructure team only uses
LTS distro releases to run production systems. We've also got a
modest sized OpenStack deployment on its way to production, again on
an LTS distro release. I agree that releasing server software which
is only well tested on "desktop" pace distro releases would be a
serious misstep for the project.
--
Jeremy Stanley