[openstack-dev] [Oslo] Improving deprecated options identification and documentation

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 16:58:13 UTC 2016

On 01/14/2016 11:45 AM, Ronald Bradford wrote:
> Presently the oslo.config Opt class has the attributes
> deprecated_for_removal and deprecated_reason [1]
>
> I would like to propose that we use deprecated_reason (at a minimum) to
> detail in what release an option was deprecated in, and what release it
> is then removed in.

You mean what release it *will* be removed in, right? Clearly, once it's
removed, there won't be any indication it ever existed ;)

> I see examples of deprecated_for_removal=True but no information on why
> or when.  i.e. Ideally I'd like to move to an implied situation of
>   if deprecated_for_removal=True then deprecated_reason is mandatory.

+1

> A great example is an already documented help message in oslo.log
> configuration option use_syslog_rfc_format that at least provides a
> guideline.  [2] shows a proposed review to take this low road approach.
> An image of what the change actually looks like in documentation using
> this approach [3].  This also needs  #267151 that fixes an issue where
> deprecated options are not producing a warning message in docs.
>
> The high road would be to have a discussion about if there is a better
> way to mark and manage deprecated options. For example, if there was a
> deprecated_release and a removal_release attribute then a level of
> tooling could make this easier.  I would be wary in considering this, as
> it adds complexity (is it needed), and just how many options are
> deprecated.  I'd appreciate thoughts and feedback.

Any improvement in this regard I think would enhance the user experience
considerably, thank you Ronald for tackling this area. I'd also suggest
cc'ing (or sending a separate ML post) to the openstack-operators@ ML to
gather feedback from ops folks.

Best,
-jay