[openstack-dev] [neutron] Testing Neutron with latest OVS

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu Jan 14 16:00:03 UTC 2016

Sean M. Collins <sean at coreitpro.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:57:37PM CST, Mooney, Sean K wrote:
>> One of the ideas that I have been thinking about over the last month or
>> two is do we
>> Want to create a dedicated library file in devstack to support
>> compilation and installation
>> Of ovs.
>
> So, my suggestion is as follows: create a new devstack plugin that is
> *specifically* geared towards just compiling OVS and installing it to
> get the bits that you need. I'm just concerned about the feature creep
> that is happening in the Neutron DevStack plugin ( which I didn't like in
> the first place ) where now every little thing is getting proposed
> against it.

Currently, devstack plugin has code for:
* qos
* sr-iov
* l2 agent extensions
* flavors

I think most of those could indeed live in a separate plugin (except
probably l2 agent extensions that seems like a common feature for different
agent types).

I wonder whether we can extend devstack plugin interface to support
completely separate *per-feature* plugins, but in the *same* repo. In that
case, we would have best of both worlds: code separation, the need for
explicit enable_plugin call to enable a specific feature; and at the same
time, no tiny git repos to maintain 10s of lines of bash code in each.