[openstack-dev] [glance] allow a ranking mechanism for glance-api to order image locations

Jake Yip jake.yip at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Jan 14 00:07:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've recently ran across a constraint in glance-api while working with
image locations. In essence, there is no way to customize ordering of
image-locations other than the default location strategies, namely
location_order and store_type [0]. It seems like a more generic method of
ordering image locations is needed, IMHO.

Some background - We are in a multi-cell environment and each cell has it's
own glance-api server. All images are stored in a global swift cluster. We
would like glance to be able to fetch images from a local store, so that we
can do COW for backends like RBD.

Unfortunately, none of the current location strategies works for us, as we
might have multiple cells sharing the same backend. I've opened a bug /
wishlist describing this issue [1]. I have also implemented code that
allows us to achieve that based on image location metadata.

I am wondering anyone else have solved this before? I would like to hear
your opinions on how we can achieve this, and whether ranking it by
metadata is the way to go.

The current wishlist is now tracked as a spec-lite. Is this ok?

Regards,
Jake

[0]
http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/section_glance-api.conf.html