[openstack-dev] Shovel (RackHD/OpenStack)

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:53:01 UTC 2016

On 01/13/2016 03:28 PM, Keedy, Andre wrote:
> Hi All, I’m pleased to announce a new application called ‘Shovel ‘that
> is now available in a public repository on GitHub
> (https://github.com/keedya/Shovel).  Shovel is a server with a set of
> APIs that wraps around RackHD/Ironic’s existing APIs allowing users to
> find Baremetal Compute nodes that are dynamically discovered by RackHD
> and register them with Ironic. Shovel also uses the SEL pollers service
> in RackHD to monitor compute nodes and logs errors from SEL into the
> Ironic Database.  Shovel includes a graphical interface using Swagger UI.
>
> Also provided is a Shovel Horizon plugin to interface with the Shovel
> service that is available in a public repository on GitHub
> (https://github.com/keedya/shovel-horizon-plugin). The Plugin adds a new
> Panel to the admin Dashboard called rackhd that displays a table of all
> the Baremetal systems discovered by RackHD. It also allows the user to
> see the node catalog in a nice table view, register/unregister node in
> Ironic, display node SEL and enable/register a failover node.
>
> I invite you to take a look at Shovel and Shovel horizon plugin that is
> available to the public on GitHub.

Would EMC be interested in contributing to the OpenStack Ironic project
around hardware discovery and automated registration of hardware? It
would be nice to have a single community pulling in the same direction.
It looks to me that RackHD is only a few months old. Was there a
particular reason that EMC decided to start a new open source project
for doing hardware management instead of contributing to the OpenStack
Ironic project?

It was a bit surprising to me actually, to see Joe Heck, who used to be
a very active contributor in OpenStack, started the RackHD project.

Also, just FYI, "Shovel" is a RabbitMQ thing:

https://www.rabbitmq.com/shovel.html

Might be worth looking into a rename of your project to avoid confusion,
but that's just a suggestion.

Best,
-jay