[openstack-dev] Further closing the holes that let gate breakage happen

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:41:29 UTC 2016

On 13 January 2016 at 11:24, Carl Baldwin <carl at ecbaldwin.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was looking at the most recent gate breakage in Neutron [1], fixed
> by [2].  This gate breakage was held off for some time by the
> upper-constraints.txt file.   This is great progress and I applaud it.
> I'll continue to cheer on this effort.
>
> Now to the next problem.   If my assessment of this gate failure is
> correct, the update to the upper-constraints file [3] was merged
> without running all of the tests across all of the projects that would
> be broken by bringing in this new constraint.  So, we still get
> breakage and it is still (IMO) too often.

This is my understanding too, but I let the infra and requirements gurus
confirm.

> As I see it, there are a couple of options.
>
> 1) We run all tests under the upper-constraints control on all updates
> to the upper constraints file like [2].  This would probably mean each
> update has a very long list of tests and we would require that they
> all be fixed before the upper constraint update can be merged.  This
> seems like a difficult thing to coordinate all at once.
> 2) We handle upper-constraints much like we do the global requirements
> updates.  We have the master and a bot that proposes updates to it out
> to the individual projects.  This would create a situation where
> projects are out of sync with the master but I think if we froze the
> master early enough, we could have time to reconcile before release.
> 3) We continue to allow changes in the upper constraints to break
> individual projects.
>

> Are there options that I missed?  What is your opinion?  In my
> opinion, gate breakage happens a bit too often and the effect on the
> community is widespread.  I'd like to contain it even a little bit
> more.

I suppose another (not ideal) solution might be to use Depends-on
cautiously. We could have filed a sentinel patch against the neutron repo
in conjunction with the upper-constraints change.

That said, I'd love to be a little more bullet proof.